Wesley

Wesley

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Lukerless and other updates

March 23, 2014

I miss Elder Luker. Seriously, he did such a good job in taking care of our work and in serving and loving me. He was funny and I felt at home... and now it's like a different work without him. When it started getting really obvious that his time to leave was fastly approaching, we would throw it off because we wanted to focus on the work and not focus on how sad it would be after he left. Because we did that, it didn't really feel like goodbye until one morning I woke up in my room and he wasn't there! I hope there is some super sick travel system in heaven where we can just kind of like poof inbetween America and Korea without airplanes, and Elder Luker and I can just hang out in an exalted Korean culture once in a while if he's not too obsessed with his wife and has no time for his good old pal Elder Buckwalter.
anyways.... at least the juice he left me was good, and the cereal, and the candy.



 Last Thursday, I got my new companion. He's tall. He is obsessed with Korean and that is totally a good thing. We speak just as much Korean with each other as we speak English. I've gotten good, but I have a feeling that this companion will get me great. Elder Luker could speak great Korean and I didn't worry about my Korean last transfer too much because I knew he could catch me if I fell. This companion though, has like an addiction or some kind of high to using Korean correctly. It's his favorite thing to do, speak Korean and help me with my Korean. I thought it could've gotten anoying, because I knew my Korean was terrible and barely made sense, so he's constantly correcting and advising and teaching me. I'm not sure if he knows as much as he is making it out that he knows but... I like it. I'll take it. Heck, I have a feeling that with him I will shoot up. I am never offended when he's advising me in Korean because I really do want to sound as correct as possible. I'm grateful he is always doing that service to me.

Elder McLeod

So anyway,
our missionary work hit a kinda bump in the road, and I'm guessing that's expected at transfers because you're still figuring each other out and you have to get on the same page. Last week we were really focusing on Elder Luker and going to lot's of meals with members and investigators that wanted to say goodbye and our proselyting stat went down. We'll pick it up though. I know that as we try our best, God does the rest.
March 30, 2014
The hiccup is over. I have learned a powerful lesson about how to be patient and humble and compromise. I wanted to do everything Elder Luker's style and 화양 style... but I needed to trust Elder McLeod when he wants to do things that in my experience weren't as efficient or in my oppinion weren't as necessary. I don't do missionary work in the same way anymore, but I like the small differences, I've been humbled and I've learned that different fashions can just as effectively bring people to Christ. The real heat of the matter is whether you are in unity with your companion and whether you are following the spirit. It doesn't matter too much if you spend more time proselyting or visiting members or calling old people from records long dead... however you can find people to teach, just do it! Work! Find them!
I won't forget the things I did with Elder Luker, but I also am glad that I know more than one way to bring people to Christ.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment